With life returning to normal in some parts of the country, people may find themselves getting ready to go back to the office, or may have already resumed in some capacity. Transitioning from working in an office to working at home, and now back again is a big adjustment for a lot of people. It is normal to feel a little lost and out of routine however, it is important to set yourself some goals and find ways to be consistent, even when life and your day to day may be inconsistent.
If you can do this and create a flexible routine which has the same desired outcome each day it will help keep your days productive and your mental and physical health a priority.
See below our top tips for creating some consistency with all of this inconsistency.
- Set aside time to plan your meals and snacks at the start of the week. This includes writing a grocery list which will make your shopping not only quicker but cheaper too!
- Plan meals and snacks for each day regardless of whether you are returning to work, at home or both. This will help you know what to grab out of the fridge when you are feeling hungry, or heading into the office. Being prepared makes eating well that much easier
- Planning snacks into your day is important as this helps to ensure you are not snacking all day or over eating just because it is there – Snack time can be where you add a lot of nutritional value to your day, or let it unravel.
- Schedule your day. Each morning sit down and write yourself a to do list, this is another great way to be more productive. Plus it feels great to tick things off your to do list when they are done!
- Get up from your desk and stretch every hour. We all know that a sedentary lifestyle is bad for our health so why not use this time to get into the habit of getting out of your chair. Your mind, body and overall health will thank you for it!
- Don’t forget to make some time for yourself!! This is so important, especially if you are at home with your kids or partner, even if it is only 10 minutes that you get to yourself this will help you recharge and stay balanced.
- Exercise is essential for our health and for the mind. If you are at home can you do a home workout or go for a 30 minute walk/run each day to help keep your mind fresh. Regular movement has so many benefits including making you feel good and assisting with productivity!
Mindset and Meditation
- Starting your day with meditation or some deep breaths is great for calming and stress relief. If you are able to repeat this at some stage in the afternoon as well it can help boost focus and reset you from that afternoon dip in energy many people have.
The trick with all of this is to find your non-negotiables and make them happen. Yes life, work, family and all of the things can be unpredictable, but prioritising your own health should be top of that list. It is about starting small and building on it. Good Luck.